Tuesday, May 25, 2010

(122/365) How I Spend A Lot of My Time

ShopPBS.OrgDicksSportingGoods.com

ArabicChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)DeutchEspanolFrenchItalianJapaneseKoreanPortugueseRussian
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

met my first computer, a Radio Shack TRS-80, when I was just beginning to have a little curiosity about these machines. I failed miserably and assumed I was doomed to permanent Luddite status. It was 1983, and I had been teaching for several years--and as a resource teacher of students with learning disabilities, I knew there must be some way to reach my students. Then I took a brief class learning the Apple IIe, and my life has never been the same.



Suddenly the technology began to make sense, and I explored every aspect I could. I begged for one in my classroom and went away for a month to a California "technology summer camp" for educators. As we left, they handed us a 1200 baud modern and signed us up for a new telecommunication system for educators. I knew that I was still able to learn new things and that I could help lead the implementation of this new educational tool. My students became the "techies" of the school and helped other teachers and students.



One of the first periodicals I ever read was The Computing Teacher, and it became the most important thing the mail carrier brought. I realized that it was written for folks like me, and soon I convinced two others to join me in writing an article for the journal. It was my first publication and it started me on a wild ride. I never looked back and chose the University of Oregon (home to The Computing Teacher) for my PhD. I still feel that I am learning something every single day.

Lynne Schrum is an associate professor of instructional technology at the University of Georgia, where she teaches and conducts research on online and distance learning, implementation of technological innovations in education, and appropriate uses of information technology in K-12 education. She is a past president of ISTE (1997-99) and recently became editor of ISTE's JRTE.

Source Citation
Schrum, Lynne. "Meeting Mr. Good Computer: not every early computer was a good match. (Readers Reminisce)." Learning & Leading with Technology 30.1 (2002): 64. Computer Database. Web. 25 May 2010.
Document URL
http://find.galegroup.com/gtx/infomark.do?&contentSet=IAC-Documents&type=retrieve&tabID=T002&prodId=CDB&docId=A91205120&source=gale&srcprod=CDB&userGroupName=broward29&version=1.0


Gale Document Number:A91205120

ArabicChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)DeutchEspanolFrenchItalianJapaneseKoreanPortugueseRussian
Personalized MY M&M'S® CandiesObama on 60 Minutes DVDGreat Prices at booksamillion.com (Web-Page) http://computer.tutor2008.googlepages.com/tutor2
(Album / Profile) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5745&l=970be&id=1661531726Click here for the Best Buy Free Shipping OffersShop the Official Coca-Cola Store!leonard.wilson2009@hotmail.com

No comments: